German biker comes up with a plan

End of day 1 of the European assembly for Unificationist  community leaders. Some good presentations today.

One of my favourites was from Christian Hausmann. Don’t know him? Well he is part of the German leadership trinity, business man, involved in regional German politics, and drives a serious bike. Think it’s a BMW.

the real deal

Here in his robust and typically candid style is a proposal to do something effective for the German movement. It inspired me cuz we are planning a leaflet campaign as part of our national outreach strategy in the UK, and it made me think. It’s always good when something makes me do that.

I found him great fun and also very convincing. Check him out. And excuse the digital zoom quality on the iPhone:

Let me know in the comments section below what you think of his concept. It’s got limitations naturally like most new ideas, but I think with a bit of developing it has great potential

Profile photo of simoncooper

About simoncooper

working at 43LG church community in West London

, , ,

22 Responses to German biker comes up with a plan

1. Profile photo of William Haines
    William Haines March 27, 2010 at 1:16 am #

I was disappointed that Christian wasn’t able to translate the ‘truth’ into practical policy so as to be able to suggest a principled approach to child policy to his fellow politicians. At the end of the day abstract truth has to be translated into practical policy proposals if we are to contribute to making the world a less bad place. We could of course take the Protestant approach and say ‘faith’ or believing the ‘right’ thing is enough or alternatively the Catholic approach that salvation comes through taking sacraments such as the Blessing. Or maybe both. But both only work if sustained by a spiritual community – we have done extensive leafleting and blessing campaigns over the decades but have little to show for it. Of course this time may be different if the Holy Spirit descends.

2. Profile photo of William Haines
    William Haines March 27, 2010 at 1:16 am #

3. Profile photo of Toby Warren
    Toby Warren March 27, 2010 at 10:39 pm #

Christian is such a nice guy- so honest and genuine. The idea is not really new. Father sent a beautiful booklet out to every American home in 1986 (No doubt at huge expense). I feel its missing the point at this time. There is deep need for each of us to inherit the content of what is happening in Korea. I propose that each nation send three or four people to Korea to work with CBG in Seoul, people with a genuine and humble desire to rediscover the heart of renewal occurring there. If they return as judgemental ‘warriors’, then count it as a fail but if they can come back and work as true apostles, then I for one will be ready to learn. There is a deeper content we all need to inherit so that we can be of help to others in their lives and it wont happen giving out leaflets!

4. Profile photo of Toby Warren
    Toby Warren March 27, 2010 at 10:39 pm #

5. Pam Dillard March 28, 2010 at 11:46 am #

Unfortnately its taking so long for the download that I can’t hear all Christians talk! I concurr with Toby’s comments. My personal efforts in witnessing take so long to progress and I think its a reflection on my own quality of spiritual growth, heart and experience. ie. it needs to improve! The resurgence of witnessing efforts causes you to look inside and take stock of where you are at. Looking back at my own spiritual Dad it was his heart and spirit that caught my interest first.

6. Pam Dillard March 28, 2010 at 11:46 am #

7. Natasha Huish March 28, 2010 at 12:19 pm #

I really like Christian Hausmann’s passion for spreading the Truth of God to everyone in his nation. I have absolute faith in the Truth True Parent’s are teaching and feel truly blessed to be continously learning and have the oppertunity to practice it every day.

I believe it is our responsibilty to develop the best ways to witness. To do that we need to use our God-given creativity and imagination. Our own spiritual standard and that of our community is a major factor. Am I a clear channel for God to speak through me and personally touch the heart of each person I encounter? As William Haines also pointed out, we need to translate the Truth into practical policy. The decisions we make and how we live each day of our lives says a lot about who we are. If we represent True Parents, and by extension God, then we have an awesome responsibility to be shining examples and a living testimony of the tremendous blessings we have received in our lives.

8. Natasha Huish March 28, 2010 at 12:19 pm #

9. Maria Lehr March 28, 2010 at 1:55 pm #

Hi Simon!This is a great Idea,what Christian Hausmann has in mind.It is Perfekt…..

10. Maria Lehr March 28, 2010 at 1:55 pm #

11. Profile photo of Peter Schroder
    Peter Schroder March 29, 2010 at 6:39 am #

I think it’s all shake, rattle’n roll. It’s all about rattling and shaking the tree, to wake up the country, to make the citizens talk about us again. Don’t forget, a younger generation has grown up in the meantime, not only on our side but on theirs too. That’s why there is hope. Yes, I like Christian’s idea, as I think we have to do similar as any other (big or small) company does: Advertisement, Internet, leaflets, business cards and person-to-person approach (as it is already done in UK). People should have the chance to get to know our teachings.

12. Profile photo of Nigel Barrett
    Nigel Barrett March 29, 2010 at 1:09 pm #

I am in the Toby and Pam camp. I think that it is the content of the people that matter not the content of the leaflet. Yes there were times that Father sent out large nubmers of leaflets or books or newspaper adverts but I think they could only accomplish some symbolic significance — however crucial that might have been for the sake of the providence it was still only symbolic. I think the money would be far better spent sponsoring a highly effective and commited witnessing team. Truth is not that obvious. Many people have heard the truth but not recognised it or recognise it but not live it. It has to be demonstrated. There is nothing that success like sucess (as my dad used to say.

13. Profile photo of Nigel Barrett
    Nigel Barrett March 29, 2010 at 1:09 pm #

14. Charles Kamins, San Francisco March 31, 2010 at 4:58 am #

First let me say how much I like this blog and website. It’s one of my favorite Unificationist Web Gems (http://bafc.org/?p=1080). Brother Christian’s heart is in the right place. However, in terms of outreach, it is counterproductive to attempt speak to the entire world at once. In advertisements, or flyers, it is essential to TARGET our message to a TARGET audience.

The reason for this is obvious. We cannot afford to distribute 6 billions leaflets. Even if we could, it wouldn’t be effective. To use our limited resources effectively, we must identify our target audience and tailor our message directly to them.

For example, recently in District 11, Bay Area Family Church, we ran a series of ads in the local newspaper targeted to attract people interested in hearing new spiritual ideas (The Power of Positive Prayer, Angels Among Us, What Happens When We Die?) We also ran ads targeted towards people searching for deeper, more meaningful relationships (Five Love Languages, Relationship Enhancement for Couples) as well as parents seeking help raising their children (Raising G-Rated Children in an X-Rated World).

These ads attracted over 120 new people over a period of 7 weeks to an evening program at our church center. Since we knew their interests, we were able to introduce them to the Divine Principle answer to their need.

Although we made progress attracting a target audience, we are still studying how to assimilate new guests and bring them to a deeper relationship. To this end, we have identified the MOST IMPORTANT question we must answer and that is “Why should anyone join the Unification Church?” Anyone who already knows the Divine Principle knows the answer to this. The problem here is to answer this question to someone who does not know the DP. How do we describe the benefits of membership to non-members and, specifically, what are those benefits?

Try this as an exercise: If a friend or colleague asked you “Why should I join your church?” what would you tell him/her? If we want people to join us, we have to provide a good reason for them to do so. I believe that our problems attracting converts in the last 20 years is due to the fact that we have not been able to articulate a meaningful answer to this.

Blessed Families around the world are wrestling with this matter with a growing intensity in face of the fast approaching January 13, 2013 deadline. I’m confident that if we think it through, take action and learn as we go, we’ll make progress.

Warmest Regards,
    Charles Kamins
    Napa, California

15. Charles Kamins, San Francisco March 31, 2010 at 4:58 am #

Warmest Regards,
    Charles Kamins
    Napa, California

16. Profile photo of Niall Robertson
    Niall March 31, 2010 at 10:35 am #

If the goal is generating public awareness, then of course a leafleting campaign will serve its purpose. But you also have the problem of people ignoring the leaflets, throwing them in the bin, and all the rest. But a leaflet campaign is what it is, and can achieve results if done well, for example, snappy slogans, colourful designs etc. But you can’t expect it to change the world. The way of reaching out to bigger audiences though is through media coverage, TV, internet, newspapers, radio. But then you actually have to be doing something to generate that positive coverage, the GPF for example generated good media, so a leaflet campaign in concert with the next GPF could prove effective. The Jehova Witnesses are not exactly popular for bombarding people’s doorsteps, and people are plain fed up when political parties litter people’s entrances with campaign leaflets and propaganda. A leaflet campaign is good, if it has a specific purpose, but it shouldn’t be what we become known for …

17. Profile photo of Niall Robertson
    Niall March 31, 2010 at 10:35 am #

18. Profile photo of Toby Warren
    Toby Warren March 31, 2010 at 10:51 pm #

I think the comment from Charles is very interesting. And the question needs answering. To do that many of us need to put behind us many difficult and complex memories of the past. God has led us to this point and His love extends to all of us, asking us to begin now with fresh hearts and minds. Our young senior Pastor Hyung Jin Moon has often spoken about his reasons for choosing the Unification Church out of all the others he studied. The answer we each give to the question ‘Why should I join your church?’ will reveal the core hope we hold close in our hearts. If we cannot answer the question, we are sleep-walking through our faith lives. Lets re-awaken and allow God into the Heart of all we do and say. I’m going to try!

19. Profile photo of Toby Warren
    Toby Warren March 31, 2010 at 10:51 pm #

20. christian hausmann April 12, 2010 at 8:50 pm #

Well, thank you for the many, different comments on my idea. I do not know if i can respond to all, but at least to some. First of all,let me say that I do not believe that a leaflet can change the world, but I do believe that the indispensable prerequisite for the coming of CIG is to know the truth. Now, do people know about the new expression of truth in our nations or not? If not, this is not something like a fate that we could not change. The internet is a gift from God in this age that has spread so rapidly within the last 20 years and cheap leaflets can be considered too as a merit of the age. I am sure, if the internet or leaflets had existed 500 years ago Martin Luther would have used them. If we continue witnessing the way we do now or did in the past, how long will it take until people can know the truth, no matter how sincere, deep and nice people are that witness to them one by one on the street. Newspapers are not read as much as most people think. In East Stuttgart live approx. 50000 People, but only 6000 have a subscription of the larges daily newspaper. 6000 leaflets cost less than 70,-€. I agree with William, that believes have to become concrete political proposals. But being active in a political party for more than 20 years now, I know very well that to organize majoritys is hard work. But I am working on it and have of course ideas how families could be better supported by a government as it is done now. But even in the christian democratic union there does not exist a consensus on the purpose of life, the meaning of family or a life after death. The protestant part of the party does not have a clue what the right moral conduct would be regarding, sex before marriage, divorce, abortion etc. If this is the situation of the “abel” party, what can we expect from the population? How to find majorities for concrete political proposals in a situation of great anthropological ignorance or confusion. To me it is important that we do what is possible under the given circumstances. We can reach out to the population of our nations with God truth if we only have the will. God gave us the means. So, why not doing it. By the way – I like the welcoming card that you use. We have not found the form for our leaflet until today, though we want to start on April, 19th. We will have a leaflet, print only 100.000 and than improve on it for the second edition

21. christian hausmann April 12, 2010 at 8:50 pm #

22. anonymus April 13, 2010 at 12:28 am #

The truth needs to be argued for, preferably by means of rationally grounded arguments, if you want to get the attention of the educated people. A leaflet in a letterbox is not a serious way to spread truth. Perhaps an invitation.