the main message

I am on the flight back to London from Seoul and taking a bit of time to distil the last 4 or 5 days. It is essential for me to do this, in the context of sharing my thoughts with you, because I went on behalf of and to represent our UK church community. To post my conclusions here is important for me because I want to allow us to have a shared experience that articulates the vision for our church community over the next three years.

on the outside of the ground floor shrine for the 4 great saints

The world mission department staff did a great job taking care of all the national leaders. But when they asked for feedback on what to improve we gave them several suggestions. There was a severe case of information overload and by the end they also realised this. As a result of the multiple power points and case studies there was way too much talking at or to us rather than with us; generally there was a need to develop a more effective process of communication.

That was the toughest part for me to cope with and I regret that I was not more constructive in getting over those frustrations in the heat of the moment.

Aside from that I could salvage some interesting information which I will compile and send out over the next week or two.

Now here is what really made it all click into place:

morning devotion in the temple prayer room on Ahn Shi Il

We concluded our assembly this morning by attending the first Ahn Shil Il in the new ‘mega’ Unification Church temple. Hyung Jin and Yeon Ah Moon were there and he gave an almost one hour long message that washed away most of the frustrations from the previous days.

He spoke with a powerful honesty. Through charting for us his personal journey he cast a clear vision for the Unification Church.

He outlined the Unification Movement’s main problem: Insufficient faith in True Parents as the Lord of the Second Advent; a lack of personal daily awareness of how True Parents have saved our lives by dying for us again and again. He pointed to the fact that many members are not able to be openly proud of these truths as evidence of our need for deeper more personal faith. He pointed to the book of Acts as an example of the type of faith we should aspire to. He referred to himself as an apostle.

He outlined the solution to the problem with two elements: For each of us to get into a life of devotion which allows us to first see True Parents with our spiritual eyes, and secondly gives us the heart and conviction to bring people to accept True Parents as their saviour and lord.

But why us, and why now?

Father is 90 years old and is doing his very best to stick around and give us a chance to help him secure the future. It is us because True Parents have blessed us and given their lives for us more than for anyone else. In that way we are the bridge for True Parents to the world. If it is not us now, then who is it and when?

Pastor Hyung Jin Moon says thank you as he leaves

It is clear that pastor Hyung Jin Nim will keep on repeating this vision until is sticks. But what we must do is unpack it and bring it into a practical set of action steps for our community. We have to flesh it out so that we have a workable strategy and process which will empower each family member and give all of us the opportunity to fulfil the vision: Establishing True Parents as the Way, the Truth, and the Life for building the Kingdom.

I know we all have different approaches and styles of doing what we have got to get done. That is inevitable and fine. Nevertheless we need a recognisable rallying point for all of our efforts. The Sunday before I went to Korea I spoke about our HQ church’s main purpose. We need to focus on teaching the Divine Principle and bringing people to True Parents. We will do many things, but our clear and transparent objective and purpose should be to successfully do these two things.

Again this needs to be unpacked and articulated in more detail. But let us keep our eye on these two purposes and patiently, step by step, answer all the other questions that will spring up as we go along.

I had my video camera ready because I felt in that precious moment all of you needed to be there too!  Here is part 1 of Hyun Jin Nim’s talk at Ahn Shi Il:

On the bus to Incheon airport after leaving the temple this morning I realised we have to thank the Japanese church members for Hyung Jin Nim. It is because of his experience with their faith in True Parents that he is able to provide authentic spiritual leadership. That is why sincere, genuine, personal, mature faith counts. We need those adjectives to qualify the noun, but let us nevertheless remember that faith counts and trumps personality, local culture, and any other relative human factors.

UNfortunately my video camera battery died. But God bless my iPhone, just it doesn’t have a zoom yet. Here is part 2 and 3 of Hyung Jin Nim’s very personal morning message, u might need to turn up the volume or use some headphones for volume:

Profile photo of simoncooper

About simoncooper

working at 43LG church community in West London

, , , , , ,

17 Responses to the main message

1. Robert Williamson February 25, 2010 at 7:03 pm #

thanks very much Simon for sharing these precious moments with all of us.

2. Tim Miller February 25, 2010 at 9:04 pm #

Thanks Simon for recording this – so precious to hear the words direct

3. Jorgen Bramsen February 25, 2010 at 10:33 pm #

Dear Simon Cooper
    God Bless You Simon!
    And thank you so much for bringing Hyung Jin Nim with you back from your trip to Korea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    … it is deeply, deeply deeply inspiring!
    God Bless You
    ITPN
    Jorgen

4. Angus McDonald February 25, 2010 at 10:41 pm #

Many thanks for your effort and sharing Simon.

5. Rita Salaris February 25, 2010 at 11:17 pm #

Dear Simon Cooper,

Thanks for the sharing with film.

6. Profile photo of Susan Crosthwaite
    Susan Crosthwaite February 26, 2010 at 8:23 am #

Thankyou so much Simon for really enabling us to be represented by you, and sharing this experience with us! Absolutely wonderful! liberating and refreshing to hear Hyung Jin Nim’s words and feel his heart!

7. Profile photo of Tim Huish
    Tim Huish February 26, 2010 at 9:24 am #

AMAZING STUFF
    Thank you so much for recording and sharing this precious stuff
    Now I know why Heavenly Father gave us the internet and all the wonderful technology.
    What a precious leader you have become Simon!!
    🙂 thank you

8. Derrick Davis February 26, 2010 at 10:02 am #

Hi Simon
    thanks you sooooooo much for this, it is a revelation and I hope will enable us to make this nation great once again.

9. Marilyn Eaton February 26, 2010 at 8:06 pm #

Thank you for posting this precious message from Hyung Jin Nim. I will watch this many times and share it with other brothers and sisters. Thanks, from Atlanta, Georgia.

10. Dorota Simekova February 27, 2010 at 12:13 am #

Dear brother Simon,

many thanks and greetings also from a postcommunist country of Slovakia!

HJM proves me that only a person with a living, ressurrected heart can inspire and motivate other people, and bring them back to Heavenly and True Parents…

Dorota Simekova, Bratislava

11. Benedicte Suzuki February 28, 2010 at 11:20 am #

Thank you Simon for these links very moving, touching!!Event in France we read your comments, thank you for the efforts you made to cover the event up
    Benedicte

12. mark cleaver February 28, 2010 at 8:12 pm #

I dont buy into the whole
    ‘we are not growing” thing.And I also dont buy into the whole “lack of faith in True parents” thing.Surely the ones still standing dont fit this.The difficulties stem from the center of the movement, not the periphery. The Principle itself suggests this(cause effect)

13. Andrea Kuhn March 2, 2010 at 9:16 pm #

Hi Simon,

thank you so much for all your deep sharing and videos. For people like us out in the sticks (Calgary,Canada), where the next church is over 1000km away, the wonders of media are what keep us spiritually uplifted and feeling connected to a true world family of brothers and sisters who really do care and want to make a difference. Please keep it up! God bless!
    P.S. Maybe you remember us from Jeremy Spellers wedding.

14. Deborah March 3, 2010 at 5:34 am #

Thank you for posting this! the Hannas are watching it for HDH this morning:)

15. Susan Rothery March 3, 2010 at 10:34 pm #

Dear Simon

Thank you for messages of Hyung Jin Nim. I do so love to hear him speak so lovingly of True Parents and how lucky I am to hear these words of wisdom. His voice is one we capture in our hearts and once heard it is not forgotten. I always am worried that I might miss something so keep looking back into my emails to check and to print off speeches so I can keep looking at them.

Susan Rothery Wednesday 3rd March 2010

16. Walter Charles March 4, 2010 at 12:26 pm #

Dear Simon Cooper,

Thank you for this News from Hyung jin nim and much moore
    I am very greatfull to the son of REV;Moon and is wife for all the support. I think this Mann is a second Apostel of Vater Moon!!!I am very happy today to see God suffering coming to a end because I will tell a story to Mankind of True Parents even I am not the best Moonie from 1973 but I am A MOonie so God is my friend God bless America and the World and True Parents!!! Charles WALTER a French in Germany!!!!AJU!!!!PEACE

17. Profile photo of simoncooper
    Editor March 5, 2010 at 2:33 pm #

@mark Clever: I think the point of cause and effect could be true in some respects, but the relationship is dynamic in terms of the centre and periphery. Of course Hyung Jin Nim also says that our Movement is the most successful tradition in terms of growing in the life time of the founder. But, at least on the growth issue I can say that in terms of numerical size of our community we have not increased particularly here in the UK over the last 20 years.

By the way, here is a much better version of the talk done on a high end camera by a proper cameraman, much better than my iPhone version: http://www.vimeo.com/9915570