exploring how we worship

I think I have started to acclimatise to visiting services to give the message, but I had’t organised a service in a long time, and it was a sobering experience to be reminded of all the details.

the band

the band

We had a good reflection meeting this Friday evening just gone with some of those who helped or attended, and I will post up some of the notes soon. But here are some photos and clips to let you get a feeling of how was.

The next Saturday Service will be at 6.30pm on 24th October.

If you want to join the choir please get in touch with Steven.

...the choir

...the choir

William Haines gave the message: the mark of a mature person, focusing on the book of James. See part of the sermon below:

Profile photo of simoncooper

About simoncooper

working at 43LG church community in West London

8 Responses to exploring how we worship

1. 귀엽놈 October 13, 2009 at 11:52 pm #

우리가 만일 우리의 스타일을 바꾸고 싶다면, 난 웬지 한국의 통일교회에 무슨 정들을 따라야할것깥다.
    왜냐하면….. 그냥 살펴보자….
    참부모님께서…… 영어 월리강론은 월래강론 (우리나라 강론의), 말씀을 완벽하게 해석할수가 없대. 그리고…. 이스랑의 코란이….. 아리바아어만으로 읽어사만 진정하게 이해할수가있대.

그러나까….우리가 만일 우리의 종교를 진정하게 이해하려면… 우리가 이종교의 ‘윌래나라’의 문화와 전통을 살펴봐야해 – 그것이 바로 대한민국이다!!!!

감사.

2. Profile photo of simon
    Simon Cooper October 14, 2009 at 4:29 pm #

Thank you to Youngil Ely Loew who translated the above comment from Korean into the English language.

Very rough translation of Korean comment:

“If we’re going to change our style, then I think I’d have to follow something that’s coming from the Korean Unification Church.
    Why?… well, let’s just take a quick look…
    True Parents… has said that the the English Divine Principle cannot be completely translated from the Korean Principle. And… it’s like what they say about the Koran…. to get the true meaning of it you have to read it in Arabic.
    That’s why… if we want to truly understand our own religion… we have to look at the culture and traditions of the ‘original country’ of this religion – and that country is the Republic of Korea!!!!
    Thanks.”

3. Profile photo of Matthew Huish
    Matthew Huish October 14, 2009 at 4:39 pm #

While I agree that True Parents’ teachings can only be fully understood in their native Korean – and I humbly concede my own crippling limitations of linguistic skill – I enitrely disagree that there is only one culture or tradition that is acceptable for the worship of our Heavenly Father. As Unificationists, we should become experts of bringing harmony (not uniformity) to the different cultures and traditions that exist in the world, so that God can enjoy the full palette of beauty exhibited in every individual truth embodiment.

4. Youngil Loew October 14, 2009 at 4:46 pm #

Well, I just want to add that I think this kid was a bit nationalistic, which isn’t healthy for our movement’s goal of uniting the world together. It’s true that we should learn Korean (and I have) but it’s wrong to assume that the only positive change can come from a Korean speaking person or the Korean language. I doubt that in the future, when everyone speaks one language, that it will be understandable to the current speaking Korean population. That’s just my theory, but I think over the course of the entire world learning one single language, the current Korean language will change and adapt beyond what it is now, so even today’s Koreans will be unable to understand it.
    Korean is merely the focus point to bring the world’s languages together. It’s not the end result… IMHO. (or more accurately, IMNSHO. ‘NS’ for ‘not so’ 😉

5. Profile photo of Bogdan
    Bogdan October 14, 2009 at 4:51 pm #

But some thoughts on that:
    1. God is not Korean.
    2. God doesn’t fit into a book.
    3. The DP (which I love dearly because it saved/saves my life) even the korean version is not the truth, but an expression of it. As the black DP states itself in it’s introduction.
    4. Not the style of our worship, but our real love relationship to True Parents (5% responsibility inclusive) saves us.
    5. On our path of developing a real relationships with our True Parents we will start studying Korean naturally, for my path it wasn’t the number one thing. I had to understand TP in other regards first.
    6. Hyung Jin Nim doesn’t copy True Father, but attends him. In Jin Nim doesn’t copy Hyung Jin Nim, but attends True Parents and her younger brother. The UK family doesn’t want to be a poor fake copy either, but an awesome group of ladies and gentleman attending True Parents, which is great.
    7. In the Peace Messages, Settlement Age and ODP content True Father emphazises our own conscience over and over again as the very best teacher – even better than God himself, which is a deeply awesome true love blasphemie.

6. Profile photo of simon
    Simon Cooper October 14, 2009 at 4:55 pm #

I heard an inspired message recently where it was mentioned that patriotism is a great quality, but what you seem to be advocating is more like nationalism (the belief that your country is ‘better’ than others). Next you will be arguing we all eat Kimchi for breakfast.

The Korean Unification church, is undoubtedly making some great developments, and experimenting with a new approach. Some of the musical styles it is trying out at least in the two rivers service are clearly American….so I don’t get your point. I am tempted to think you are just pulling my leg. (that’s an English expression, for joking with someone, please tell me you are.)

7. Profile photo of William Haines
    williamhaines October 15, 2009 at 1:17 am #

The curious thing about the Divine Principle is that it is almost completely wrapped up in an analysis of the Bible and European Christian history. It is quite clear that Judaism and Christianity are the centre of God’s providence and other religions and cultures part of the periphery. Korea itself has no Jewish foundation and a very recent and rather shallow and narrow Christian foundation. Nearly all the ideas that Father talks about are Biblical – change of blood lineage; love, life and lineage; three great kingships; true teacher, true parent, true owner; grace; blessing; God as parent; love; peace; sabbath; King of Kings; freedom and responsibility etc. So I don’t think Koreans can understand the Principle properly just because they are Koreans unless they first understand and inherit the Jewish and Christian foundations. The way of life outlined in the Torah was revealed by God to Moses and the prophets. Had Jesus been accepted then this, and not Korean culture, would have been the basis of the way of life of all humanity.

One of the errors that Christian missionaries made in the past was to identify Jesus and his message with European culture and to expect converts in Africa and elsewhere to adopt European customs. I think we have often tried to do the same and it hasn’t worked. The most vibrant African churches are the ones which have been Africanised. So while I agree that Korean culture undoubtedly has many good qualities and many gifts to share with the world I don’t think it is helpful to expect the Unification Churches around the world to slavishly model themselves on what happens in Korea.

As for translation you are right. It is a fact that every translation is an interpretation. Every reading of a text is also an interpretation as there is always a subjective element. One of the problems of the absolutising of Arabic within the Muslim world has been the imperialistic devaluing and suppression of native languages and cultures. I hope we are trying to restore and not repeat the mistakes of the past.

8. Kenta Barrett October 18, 2009 at 9:07 pm #

If we want to have a development or change in our church it has to come from the sauce… I mean Source. True Father and the Divine Principle are the Source. True Father happens to be Korean and the Divine Principle was originally written in Korean, but the meaning behind the book is more important that the language it is written in.

So in the words of Patrick Hanna, we should all be a little bit Sourcey. (note the spelling)